To this day there is no official regulatory definition for Natural and Organic Cosmetics.
There are private standards, but they need to mention that the baseline requirement is that products must first comply with Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 30 November 2009 on cosmetic products. Organic ingredients are regulated under the Council Regulation (EC) No 834/2007 of 28 June 2007 on organic production and labelling of organic products.
NATRUE is a Brussels-based international non-profit association committed to promoting and protecting Natural and Organic Cosmetics worldwide. Founded in 2007, we provide a home to all true friends of Natural and Organic Cosmetics and welcome all who commit to our high standards of quality and integrity.
- Against greenwashing to reflect consumer expectations,
- Ensuring natural and organic ingredient clarity and product transparency,
- Guaranteeing independent certification,
- Supporting sustainable innovation and responsible consumption,
- Protecting the environment and promoting waste reduction,
- Standing-up for animal welfare.
NATRUE certification is possible both for raw materials and finished products. The process is identical and follows widely recognized certification procedures.